Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stemming the tide


Well, I cleaned up much less today after jacky- actually he is doing very well as new puppies go. (and I do mean "go"). I finished a huge batch of blueberry preserves and was in the process of cleaning the kitchen, when I received a phone call from a very dear friend, saying she was coming over to visit and bring me a surprise. I sped up the cleaning process, put bright placemats on the table, swept the floor, swept the back patio, did a quick check and decided that everything looked pretty good. I sat down for a while to await my friend, basking in the cool air of the ever-present fan that runs 24-7 along with the airconditioner. I was just beginning to relax, when I smelled a familiar smell. You guessed it, a great, big pile right on the tile floor. I wasn't sure how much time I had, but I have become very proficient at cleaning poo piles, and jumped up, grabbing paper towels, spray, a walmart bag and tackled the latest offering. I picked it up with about a dozen paper towels, (I need to make sure I don't actually touch the stuff!) stuffed it in the walmart bag, sprayed the spot, scrubbed with more paper towels and then stuffed them in the walmart bag too. I was done in under a minute, flat! Then, I ran to the trashe can outside, dumped the whole thing in the can and returned to the kitchen. It was then I realized that just because you pick up a pile, it doesn't mean the smell leaves too! It was at this very moment that I saw my friend parking outside on the curb- and I grabbed a can of febreeze spray and started bombing the room with all the energy I had. The puppy started sneezing from the spray, but I was only worried that the aroma of his latest gift was still lingering in the air. Just as my friend made it to the gate of the patio, I opened the laundry room door and launched that can of febreeze onto a shelf somewhere. (I may never see it again). My friend came in the house and hugged me, while presenting me with a fabulous bouquet of sunflowers! She was either very good as masking her feelings or the febreeze actually did the job, because she did not react as if we must have a 500 pound puppy living with us. (after all, with what Jacky is dumping, it is not a stretch that he could be that big!) Will it ever end? How many cases of paper towels, how many gallons of Odoban, how many supersized cans of Lysol, how many giant containers of "Wee Wee deodorizer" must I buy? I am trying to remember if Rocky was like this, and Martin assures me that it is possible. And another thing, that puppy cannot possibly be eating enough to justify his efforts at elimination! I hope the future will show that I have overcome this trial, and can report that Jacky is happily decorating the back yard with what he his happily decorating my house with now. I love the little guy, and try to remember that he is just a precious little puppy that will bring many years of love and devotion. Right? Right? Someone tell me that I am right! Love ya, me
PS- my sweet sister in law and my brother gave me a fabulous gift last night! It is an antique ice box from the 30's and I am going to use it to display my jams and jellies! (I still have to check with Ashely though, since she owns the store!). I hope she approves, because I cannot think of a better way to promote my jellies and jams than with something so unusual. I can't wait to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment