Sunday, July 18, 2010

Does anything ever go right?

Hello all, I am home now from a really wonderful stay in El Paso with Aaron's family, (Sarah, Ben, Ali and Audrey) and it has taken me a few days to catch up on things. First of all, I was smothered in love and kisses from my grandkids. Then, I had to go to the Coach outlet, (I know, I am naughty) and then we went to a darling little town in New Mexico, I think it is called Old Messina, but I am not sure. It was very close to the Mexican border, and in my opinion, as good as acutally going to Mexico. I bought a large gourd and the clerk drilled a hole in it. Ben, Ali and
Audrey painted it and it is hanging up as a birdhouse. While I was there, Martin and I went into the desert to find some cactus. Oh, there was plenty of cactus to be found, it was a veritable cactus wonderland. Cactus everywhere. Remember now, we are talking about me in the desert in this cactus wonderland, and of course I get excited and don't exactly pay attention to the details around me. I saw one cactus in particular with a lovely salmon pink bloom on top of it and started over to it. Just about the time I reached it, the thought very strongly went through my mind to STOP! I stopped right there, wondering why I would have such a strong impression. Maybe there was a large snake close by, or something like that. As I was looking around for whatever the trouble could be, I noticed that not more than 10 feet ahead of me was a sharp drop-off. I hadn't noticed the edge of the cliff, because there was so much foilage grown up in front of me. My heart began to hammer as I realized that perhaps I could have been hurt. I edged closer to the edge, and to my surprise, it was about a 40 foot drop! The way I lumber along, I probably would have gone over the edge before I even knew what happened! As I stood there thanking Heavenly Father for the warning, I realized that Aaron, (he is an orthopedic surgeon) would have been really upset if I had fallen off the cliff and he had to work on me! Anyway, the cactus was still waiting for me, but I used much more caution after that. I was able to get some really lovely little specimens, and I hope the survive the coastal climate. I will write more tomorrow of the other adventures from my vacation, I am tired from just having made another 28 jars of peach jam! Love, me

No comments:

Post a Comment