Friday, October 16, 2009

A Christmas Frog

Another Saturday arrived and now, it was only a few days until Christmas. School was out for the holidays and we had leisure time at last. On this day, I was going into town to get the box of candy for Mother, and was very excited. I still had to think about gifts for Grandmother and others. It was a good thing that I liked to sew, as that would serve me well as I made my plans. I had already made Mrs. Thompson a new apron. It was printed with tiny flowers and trimmed in lace. I thought that maybe Grandmother would like and apron too, and decided before going into town that I would go to the sewing room to see what I could find. The lady in the sewing room gave me free run and told me to use whatever I needed. As I walked through the sewing room, once again enjoying the smells and touching the buttons, my mind was on Kenny and what I could make for him. He was only 6, and I wanted the gift to be special. I was getting George some Hai Karate after shave at the pharmacy, and it was on lay-away with Mother's gift. As I took the time to really enjoy being around the fabrics, I noticed something on a table. It was vibrant green velvet and really got my attention. I walked over and picked it up and to my surprise, it was a velvet frog! He had huge button eyes and was filled with what felt like dried beans. The velvet was so soft and the arms and legs of the frog draped around my hand as I held it. There was a little red tongue peeking out of it's mouth and I was just enchanted by that frog. The lady in the sewing room saw me with the frog and came over. Smiling at me, she asked if I liked the frog, and had I ever seen one before. I told her that I loved that frog and no, I had never seen one. Squeezing the bean filled tummy, I asked her where she had gotten it. She told me that she had made it from a pattern. It was filled with beans, but sometimes you could use dried peas or rice. I realized that I too, could make such a frog, and Kenny would love one. I asked the lady if I could use her pattern, and she told me that she would go one better. She would trace a pattern so that I could have one of my own. I just hugged her tightly, and told her that I loved her. Patting my back, she told me to stay there while she got some paper and the pattern. Soon, we had spread out her pattern and began to trace the outling of the frog pieces onto brown paper. She helped me make a large pattern and a smaller one. I thanked her and turned to leave, but she stopped me. "Would you like to make a frog today?" she asked. Well sure I wanted to make one, but I didn't want to be a bother. I told her that I would, and that I wanted to make a frog for my little brother for Christmas. As I stood there, the sewing room lady went to her closet, rummaged around for a moment and returned with the same green velvet fabric that her frog was made of. How soft the fabric was, and so supple. I knew that Kenny would love it and I was so happy to have this opportunity. Together, we layed out the pattern on the velvet, and cut the pieces. There were only three pieces to this frog, and it was very easy to sew together. Soon, I had a frog sewn together, but he was empty. I didn't know how to ask for beans or rice, again, I didn't want to be any trouble. But, to my delight, the sewing room lady dragged out a large bucket filled with pinto beans. "These are frog beans" she explained, "I plan to make quite a few frogs for my family too. Just get whatever you need". So, taking a scoop, I filled my frog with dried pinto beans. I sewed the hole shut where I had filled the frog and then found large black buttons to sew on for eyes. The frog was done! Just like the other one, my frog was supple and felt so good to hold. The soft velvet feel of that frog invited me to shape his arms and legs in different positions. Kenny would love him. Then I got an idea. I would make other frogs for friends and family for Christmas! The fabric was there for me to use, and all I would have to do is buy the beans. I decided that I would make frogs of different fabric patterns, but would use velvet when I could. It was at times like this that I realized that little blessings could mean so much. I bagan to make a list of frog recipients. First, Mindy must have one. A pink flowered frog for her. Then, grandmother. She had to have a velvet frog, perhaps a red velvet frog. Suddenly I knew what to do for the matron. I would make her a frog! Surely she would like that- at least I hoped so. What color for her? Nazi gray would suit her, but we had formed a fragile bond and I wanted to strengthen it. I knew then what I would do. I would give her the green velvet frog, the first one I had ever made. It was special and I could make another one for Kenny. I felt that a special prayer had been answered. After all, how could I get Christmas gifts for everyone I cared about when I could not really buy them? But now, with a little work and a lot of imagination, I could fill my list with gifts for everyone. With that thought in mind, I thanked the sewing room lady, took my new green velvet frog and went back to the cottage. It was near lunch time, and I knew that Mindy would be helping in the kitchen. As I entered the kitchen, Mrs. Thompson was washing a huge colander full of dried pinto beans. I excitedly told her of my new discovery and that I was going to make frogs for Christmas. I asked her if she knew how much I would have to spend on beans in town, and she stopped what she was doing. "Jodie" she said, "Honey you can have all the beans you want right here. Just get in the cupboard and get what you need. You don't have to buy them!" For a moment, I didn't know what to say, and then I just looked at her dear face and realized her goodness. She knew those frogs were important to me, and so, they were important to her too. With a hug of thanks, I asked if I could help with anything. She asked me to set the table and I went to the dining room where Mindy was already at work. I asked Mindy if she wanted to go to town with me and she nodded happily. She then told me she had saved up a few dollars and would be shopping for her brothers and sisters. Once again, the two of us looked forward to going into town for Christmas fun. After lunch, some of the other girls and Mindy and I cleaned up the kitchen, and then mindy and I headed out the door. It was crisp and cold outside, and the wind again reminded us that winter had come for sure. We decided to run into town to try to keep warm with the excercise and soon found ourselves on Main street surrounded by all the trappings of Christmas. The feed store continued to offer cookies and hot drinks to everyone, but we decided to wait until we were on our way home to partake. Entering the Pharmacy, we were inundated with Christmas music, happy shoppers, and aisle after aisle of Christmas offerings. I told Mindy that I knew right where I was going and we separated as she went to find her gifts. There was a line of people getting their lay-away out and so I had to stand there, in line, figiting with the anticipation of finally getting the box of candy for Mother. After a small wait, it was my turn. The counter lady knew me well, and smiled happily as she turned to find my lay-away. "Here you go" she said as she handed me two packages. One was the after shave and the other was the precious gift for Mother. I paid her the balance due, and took my gifts to the lunch counter. I didn't want to be jostled as I looked at them, and was afraid that I might drop them in the crush of the crowd. Sitting down on a tall stool, I took Mother's candy out of the bag. There it was, the little cedar box with the cowgirl on the front. It seemed to me that her blonde hair was gleaming, her red lips glowing and she must have been wearing that smile because she was so happy that Mother was going to have such a nice Christmas. I could not wait to see Mother's face as she opened my gift. She would know how much I loved her, and she would know that I wanted to be a family again. I wanted her to be happy, and not be suffering because she had been separated from her children. Somehow, this box of candy represented all that to me. It was very special. With the last of my money, I purchased Christmas wrapping paper with which to wrap my other gifts. It was going to be the very best Christmas ever! I just could not wait. On the way home, Mindy and I stopped and looked in the jewelry store window. The diamonds gleamed in invitation seeming to say, "Buy me for your love". There were pearl necklaces, and I knew that some lucky wives would be wearing them to church in the near future. Pierced studs of all colors winked at me and reminded me of the sewing pins with the colored heads that I had made earrings from. And then, I saw it. A ruby solitare. A single ruby stone held in place by golden prongs, standing high and proud off the ring. It seemed to have my name on it. That ring was gorgeous. I knew that one day, I would have one just like it. It would be the first of many pieces of jewelry that I would own. But for now, I had my little green ring that meant so much, and those frogs to make. No time to worry about a ruby at the moment, my day would come. For once, Mindy wasn't impatient for me to hurry from the jewelry store window. I guess she knew how much I loved to look at the jewelry. I took her frigid hand and told her that I wanted to go to the feed store for some cookies and hot chocolate. She agreed, and together we strode along the sidewalk, filled with Christmas happiness, the kind I had never thought to feel again.

No comments:

Post a Comment