Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ant Opportunities!

I have been down with a bad case of bronchitis, but as things would have it, I am on the mend much sooner than I thought. It gives be a sense of empathy towards what Martin is going through, although I am no stranger to bronchitis and other lung ailments, I take them for granted and poor Martin is new to all of this. Anyway, I will go forth- paying the price of life that is unique to me. Tonight, as I was making dinner, with my nose running, my chest hurting, coughing like a gorilla and feeling sorry for myself, Becky innocently asked, "Mama, what's wrong?" I gave her a very unlike Nana stare and said, "my life is in the crapper!" Really? Did I really fall so far as to make such a statement? I repented of such a stupid statement, my life is not in the crapper, it is wonderful. At this particular time in my history, I am simply going through a growing phase- one that takes a lot of courage and faith. One major blessing of this phase in my life is that each day, I become more like an Ant. You won't believe this, but I believe that I have been very spoiled. Spoiled by my husband, kids and friends. Maybe that is why the rug has been yanked, to allow me to remember who I am, and not who I think I want to be. I am going to sponser an Easter party for some of the less fortunate kids in our neighborhood. I am going to do this on a shoestring, spending as little as possible to bring joy to some really sweet kids. I will call on memories of Easter when my kids were little and we had no money, but certainly had wonderful Easter celebrations! I am excited about this. This year, I will not break the bank to buy Easter treats for the grandchildren, rather I will spend time with them, making Easter treats to share with others. I love to make rice krispy treats, so this year, I will get some of the off brand fruit flavored (and colored) rice cereal, make the treats, but instead of just cutting them into squares, will mold them into plastic eggs to make rice krispy treat Easter eggs! I will make cupcakes from scratch, kool-aide, cook some hotdogs that I have in the freezer, or even make pigs-in-a-blanket with them. (I can make the blanket part with homemade ingredients). Perhaps I can make a pinata from scratch. I haven't done that in years, but an Easter egg shaped pinata is really easy to make. We can play games, find eggs, and really have a good time for very little money. It will be so much fun! Then, I am thinking ahead to the 4th of July. Lots of fun to be had there too! I am finding that being an Ant brings opportunities that have long been hidden from me. How grateful I am to be able to dust them off and enjoy them again. I will keep you posted on the party, and if you want to come, please do. The more the merrier! Love, Nanasee

No comments:

Post a Comment