Monday, June 21, 2010

Fritos

Gosh, I wonder why fritos taste so good? Not just good, but addictive. And what about Cheetos? Same thing, both just little corn wonders that can take over your life. It is funny too, that it has to be Cheetos or Fritos, and not the off brand. The off brand just does not deliver the taste and Frito experience. I should know, when the kids were small, Fritos were not purchased, because I could get a semblance of a corn chip for about half the price. But now, in the twilight years of my life, it is Fritos or nothing! Now, I have been doing very well at Weight Watchers for the last 5 weeks. I am really happy about that, and if I stay on the course I am on, in October, 2011, I am going to have reached my goal. At that time, I am going to have a "look at me, I am no longer a porky" party. You are all invited. Back to the fritos. I am very good each day, and at night, when I am at the keyboard, or whatever, it suddenly occurs to me that perhaps I might have a few points left for the day. Points are measures of food you can have each day. Okay, honestly, I know exactly how many points are left at any given moment of the day! Anyway, if I am lucky enough to have at least 4 points left, I can have 32 frito chips. Not the scoops, just the little chips. Let me put this into perspective. 4 points will get you half of a gooey brownie, or 2 cups of unsweetened applesauce. For 4 points, you can have almost 2 cups of watermelon cubes. You can also have a cup of rice, a cup of mashed potatoes, a sandwich with veggies and one slice of lunch meat, or a tuna sandwich with light mayonnaise, also using light bread. You can load those sandwiches with fresh vegetables too, without adding extra points.You can have a lovely cup and a half of oatmeal with a few raisins, or even a bowl of special K with skim milk. You can actually consume several cups of sugar free jello, and not reach 4 points. Okay, I am sure you have the picture. So, calculating points with a mental points calculating gift, I make sure that there are 4 points left at the end of the day, so that me and one of my best friends forever, Fritos, can be together. That's right, salty, greasy non-nutritional Fritos. But hey, I never thought the day would come when I would methodically count out 32 fritos, making sure they are 32 complete Fritos, and not ones that are broken off. Upon hearing the rustle of the bag, Martin, even with the tv on at it's loudest shouts, "are you counting Fritos? Remember you only get 32!" ( I usually remark to myself that it is a miracle that he can even hear the damn things, you could shoot off a cannon any other time and he would not even flinch). So, with all the wonders at my reach that equal 4 points and are very nutritional and filling why would I waste the points on Fritos? I think it is because it makes me feel wicked! In spite of the almost nightly Frito fest, I am still losing at the rate of 2 pounds a week- so I am very good all day, and at night, I pull out the stops and count out my fritos. I hope I do not sound obsessed- it is just that it is so much fun to have a naughty snack and still know that I am on the right track. Sometimes I deviate from the plan, and count out CHEETOS! (I can only have 21 pieces of Cheetos though.) On Cheetos nights, I take the time to try to get the chubby cheetos instead of the skinny ones. For one thing, chubby cheetos seem to taste better, and get more cheese powder on your fingers. (better for slurping it off later). Skinny cheetos are no fun. When you first open the bag, the chubby Cheetos call out, enticing you to grab them first. Martin always wants the big, chubby Cheetos because he agrees that they taste better. You know that when you get to the bottom of a bag of Cheetos, there are only little, hard, skinny cheetos left- and probably well on the way to staleville because someone hogged the chubby ones first. I think Frito-lay should only put chubby Cheetos in a bag- but I digress. Going back to the original question- why do Fritos taste go good? I don't know, and I don't care. I am just thankful that in the larger scheme of things, Heavenly Father allows us to have Fritos on the earth. Even at servings of only 34 pieces, it is still heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment