Thursday, April 22, 2010

A shocking surprise!

When I last wrote about the Children's home, I told you that I had finally met my father again after he was released from prison. He had moved to the Dallas Texas area and was working at a local paper. I had a fatalistic attitude that just because he was out, we would not be a family again, not now, perhaps not ever. I had actually become so enmeshed in the life of the Children's home, that I didn't really care. I was happy in the home. I didn't know any other way to be, as that was all I had in my life; the Children's home. When my friends at school talked of their family life, a part of my soul clicked shut, so that it was only words I heard, not meanings. I could not risk believing that life was like that, or perhaps I would lose my security. My family was Mindy, my cat and my brothers. I found comfort in the daily routine. There was order, things were very uncomplicated and I was not expected to do anything that would constitute a risk. I say these things to bring you to the following experience.
In the fall of my fourteenth year, some of the older children in the home were given an opportunity to go to Six Flags Georgia. Prior to the trip on a Saturday, we were informed of the trip and told what was expected of us. I waited anxiously each day for Saturday to come, knowing that Mindy and I would have so much fun. We would be allowed to go off on our own, as we always followed rules and could be trusted. On the big day, we woke early, did our chores, ate breakfast and dressed for the trip. It was a very cool day, so we wore jeans and sweat shirts. I ironed Mindy's hair so that it would be straight and she ironed mine. If you can imagine, we would actually lay our head on the ironing board and let the other person run a hot iron over our hair. This would assure that our hair would lay down and not fuzz around our heads. We chose our makeup, earrings and chunky jewlery(the kind that was so popular then) and critiqued our appearance. We were good to go! The ride to Six Flags took about an hour, and we grouped with other girls in the seats front and back to sing silly songs, (99 bottles of beer on the wall). Then, we got serious, and began to sing songs by Joan Baez, the Beetles, and other groups. Finally, we sang some selections from the Monkeys, squealing over our choice of the best looking member. Before we knew it, we were there. To my surprise, as we exited the bus, the director gave us each 5 dollars to spend while we were there. In 1968 five dollars was a lot of money! The huge gates were colorful and welcoming. We could hear the music blasting over the loud speakers, and as we walked through the turn-stile we were enveloped in the crowd. It was very crowded, even though it was a Saturday in the fall. We didn't know where to go first, but soon found ourselves walking down the little lanes and going in and out of the little shops. One thing I remember so well is the wonderbread store. Insude you could buy little wonderbread souveniers, but best of all, they made little loaves that cost a quarter. It smelled so good! Mindy and I each bought a small loaf, and nibbled as we continued through the park. We rode the rides, and snacked on goodies. We had our pictures taken, and flirted with some guys. The air was crisp, and the day was ours. Finally we began to tire and decided to get a soda and just sit and watch the crowd. I told Mindy that I would get the sodas and walked to a concession stand. I am a friendly person, and tend to start conversations with those around me. As I waited for my order, I began to talk to the girl behind the counter. She had only recently come down from the Dallas area to work and go to school. I told her why I was there in the home, but that my dad had just been released from prison and he would probably get us out anyday. ( Of course I was just making that up, but you know how teenagers are!) She got very serious, and told me that her mom had just married a guy straight out of prison. He was really nice, but she didn't know him very well. Wait a minute, didn't she just say she was from the Dallas area? My mind began to work. I asked her what the guy's name was that her mother had just married. She said it was Kent. KENT!!!! That was my dad's name. Kent what? I asked her. She said, "uh, Kent Forrest". The world went blank for a moment. How many Ken Forrest's could there be just out of prison and living in the Dallas area? My voice quivered as I asked her how long Kent and her mom had been married. She said not very long. I asked her if she knew if Kent had ever talked about having children. She knew that he had a daughter and two sons living in Georgia somewhere, but he had not seen them in a long time. Now I knew. My dad had married someone and was living with another family while we were in the home. He had another family! Another family! Something shut hard in my heart. I felt it slam. Now, I did not know for absolutely sure that the Kent Forrest that was just out of prison and living in the Dallas area who was married to her mother was my dad, but in my heart, I believed it. That girl and I could be step-sisters! What a small world! We exchanged information and promised to keep in touch. Mindy came and asked what was taking so long. Seeing my face, she became alarmed. She asked me what had happened. I told her and she didn't believe it. She told me not to jump to conclusions. But I had not only jumped, I had leapt the canyon, and there was no going back for me. It was the nail in the coffin. At that very moment, I decided that I was entirely alone in the world and from then on, to hell with all of it. Later in my life, my father married another wonderful woman who had 4 children. My brothers and I went to live with them, and that started another chapter in my life. But there is much more to tell about the children's home. I will continue tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment