Monday, November 23, 2009

Still on Vacation

It was the second day in Florida. I had a sunburn. I didn't think I would burn, I only wanted to tan, but I guess it is easier to burn at the beach. It wasn't a bad sunburn, just enough to make me realize I had one each time I moved my arms, legs, feet, hands, smiled, blinked or moved in anyway. I didn't consider it a problem, I had too much to do. Karen had amassed quite a following and I hung out with her just to enjoy the view. So many young, buff bodies; tall, short, blonde, dark, red headed, blue eyes, green eyes, brown eyes, freckles, you know, all the good stuff. Something wonderful happened to me that week, I became noticed. Some of the less shallow boys actually talked to me and spent time with me. I discovered volleyball, frisbee, wave diving and so much more as I spent that week at the beach. There were other girls that were ordinary, friendly girls and together we formed a group with some of the other young men. I had so much fun, just being me and not worrying about trying to impress anyone. All day we talked and walked along the beach, played vollyball and romped in and out of the water. In the evenings, we sat around beach campfires, roasting marshmallows and telling stories. I hated to have to go in, as I wanted to stay all night with my friends. Karen and I shared a secret; she was not the little angel her parents thought she was. I didn't care. That was her business. As long as no one asked, I wouldn't rat her out. Besides, I had my group and she had hers. One evening, Karen and her family took me out to dinner and a walk through town. The air had cooled but the humidity was still up. My hair was sticking to my neck and my toes were sweating in my sandals as we walked in and out of the shops. I soon forgot my discomfort as I was surrounded by lovely treasures from the sea. There were so many beautiful shells, and items made of shells. In one shop, skirts and tops of tropical beauty were on display. Teeny little bikinis beamed in bright colors and beach wraps were displayed next to them. In every shop there were little alligators that had been preserved and were in various poses. Their mouths were always open to display sharp little teeth, and they had little glass eyes. Sometimes they were just alligator heads, and sometimes they were whole alligators. I wanted an alligator. I could just see the kids at the home as they admired my alligator. I would put it on the windowsill next to my bed and pretend it was a pet. But, those alligators were expensive and I knew that I would not be able to have one. I decided that one day I would have a preserved alligator, and that made me feel better. I wanted to buy souveniers for my brothers, Mindy, Mrs. Thompson and even the matron. Fortunately, There were plenty of affordable items for me to buy, and I carefully chose something for everyone on my list. Shell necklaces, shark teeth, bracelets, so many things. And, when I wasn't shopping, I was down at the beach. On the third day I got up early once again and hurried down to the water. I loved the early morning sunrise, the waves undulating in and out, the crabs scurrying everywhere and the smell of the ocean. That morning, I just sat and experienced the beach and the water. As the tide came in, the water covered me just a tiny bit deeper each time the waves rushed in. I knew that I would have to go back to the home in just a few days, and I just wanted to make memories. Then, I heard a slight splash as a young man plopped down next to me. He was cute. He had red hair, freckles and was ordinarily just right. He looked at me and grinned. He told me that he hoped I would be there and wanted to spend the day with me. I was surprised, I didn't think any of the boys had really even noticed me for myself. I did interact with other boys as they talked to the group I hung out with, but this was different. His name was Henry and he was from Ohio. He and his family were on vacation for the week just like me. They would be going home on Sunday, and I would be going back on Saturday. We talked and talked. After a while, Henry told me he was hungry and was going for a hotdog. He asked me what I wanted, but I felt shy and didn't want to eat in front of him. He brought me a hotdog and a soda anyway, telling me that he liked to see a girl eat, especially one like me who was strong and healthy. Henry told me that the girls at home were more like me and he didn't care for girls who were skinny. I didn't know how to take that, but the look on his face was one of admiration, not censure. The day wore on, and we joined out group for beach games. Henry stayed close to me. Some of the other girls openly admired him behind his back, and when we were alone begged for details. Did he kiss me? How did I meet him? Did he have a brother? Laughing, I told them that we were just friends, but inside I hoped that he would want to keep in touch with me after that magical week came to an end. That night, as the campfire burned in the dark, Henry sat next to me on a beach blanket. I was so happy, I was one of the fortunate ones who actually had a boy to claim me. He roasted a marshmallow for me and took it off the coathanger so I would not burn my fingers. Leaning in closer, he blew on the crispy, melted blob and then placed it in my mouth. Looking into my eyes, he licked the sweetness from his fingers. I stuttered, "I love marshmallows!" and he said he did too. As the other couples paired off, Henry gave me a meaningful look. I knew that he wanted to go for a walk and be alone, and I was nervous. I had never been alone with a boy before, but I didn't want to seem childish, so placing my hand in his, I stood up. While we held hands, we walked along the water's edge. The night was magical to me. The hotel lights gleamed into the night and music played from radios on the sand. The wind caressed my face and the night seemed to belong to only us. Could this be happening to me? I couldn't believe it, but indeed I truly was walking along the water with a boy that was cute and liked me. Henry did not try to kiss me. I would have died if he had, I would have had a heart attack. We just walked and talked and eventually went back to the group at the fire. It was late, and I had to go in, but Karen was still out and I knew that as long as she was there, I could be too. Finally, we had to go in. All the way back to the hotel, my heart skipped to the beat of "Henry, Henry". Karen wanted to know all the details. How did I find a boyfriend? As she asked the usual other questions, I realized that she had not paired up with anyone so far that week. I couln't understand that at all. Lots of boys were trying to get her attention and she was always surrounded by them. I gathered my courage and asked her why she hadn't chosen one of them. She told me that boys never seemed to want to get serious with her and worse, girls were jealous of her. I had my own opinion as to why that could be true, but I just sympathized with her and told her about Henry. Karen told me that she thought I was lucky to have found someone like him. In my mind, I thought she was lucky to be so beautiful. Before we got back to the hotel, Karen had slipped back into her one-piece swim suit and back into her "good girl" role for her parents. I thought it would be hard to keep up with the deception and again resolved that I would not to rat her out. Time would tell, and anyway, being at the beach was a life away from the normal. As I got ready for bed, I was already looking forward to seeing Henry the next day. As I said my prayers, I thanked Heavenly Father for getting to meet Henry. What a wonderful gift it was, to be able to be one of the "lucky girls" that had found a boyfriend. Sleep finally claimed me as I imagined all the fun the next day would bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment