Saturday, December 26, 2009

That fall, I was in the ninth grade and really loving going to school. This was not because of any academic attraction, but because of an academic instructor. Coach Fenning. Let me back up just a bit. I had a literature class which at that time was focused on Greek Mythology. I love history and this was particularly interesting to me because I have a vivid imagination and had no trouble picturing the Gods stirring up trouble, couples falling hopelessly in love and Goddesses causing all kinds of grief for humans and other Gods due to female spite and jealousy. The stories were easy to memorize and relate and I was really in my element. Then, one day I walked into the classroom with my mind full of the assigned reading and ready to expound on what I had learned. I even hoped there might be a test, because I knew that I would do really great, and wanted to show off a bit. As teenaged girls do, Mindy and I walked into the class yakking and not paying much attention to our surroundings. Soon, I noticed that the other class members were not very animated and it was unusual that they were not milling around and talking as the bell had not yet rung. I began to look around and there he was. I was stunned. Standing in front of the teacher's desk, with massive forearms folded across his chest stood what must have been a Greek God come to life. I actually had to look up to get a good look at his face-and life was forever changed for me. The first thing I noticed was his intense blue eyes. They were striking, glowing, and as blue as a rare sapphire. He did not notice me because he was perusing the students in the class. I took the opportunity to really size him up. He had to be at least six and a half feet tall, with very wide shoulders, a stomach that showcased perfect abs, very narrow hips and well muscled thighs. His legs were impossibly long and encased in a pair of Levi's. He wore a polo shirt that strained across those perfect shoulders and upper arms, with the neck slightly open offering a glimpse of a dark, furred chest. His hair was as black as the wing of a blackbird, with a slight wave and came slightly down to just above the expressive black eyebrows. His nose was slightly long, his cheeks chisled and his lips full and sensuous. His chin was squared and firm and he was tanned. I felt something poking me in my arm, and realized that Mindy was trying to say something to me. She was asking why I was just standing there, looking like someone had shot me. I just kind of nodded my head in the direction of this fabulous excuse for a human being and she turned to look at him. She too, was mezmerized by his perfection. As we stood there, like so many other of the girls in the class, he turned and focused on us. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. I thought he was fabulous as I had sized him up, but a direct look in my direction made me realize that I had not really discovered the enormity of his attraction. I must have been gaping at him, (oh gosh, I may even have been drooling) when he smiled in my direction. After that, I don't even remember getting to my seat. Hopefully Mindy got me there- she was always so sensible. Finally, class started. He introduced himself as Coach Fenning. The regular teacher would not be back for the rest of the year, and he was taking her place. Halleluah! I would get to look at him all year long! His voice was slightly low, very manly and very attractive. He briefly told us that we would continue our study of Greek Mythology and went to his desk to open his book. He was called Coach because he was an assistant coach of the boys football team. He also was a substitute teacher during the day, but would be the permanent replacement of the teacher who had left. He began the day by reading the current assignment to the class. I was in heaven. I could not keep my eyes off of him, could not keep my ears away from his voice. For the first time in my life, I was truly in love. (Okay, how about in a crush?) I took the time to notice that he did not wear a wedding ring, so he was probably not married. He turned to the blackboard, and I realized that I had never seen a more beautiful pair of Levi's in my life. Oh, my goodness, how could any man be so perfect? Then, it happened. Coach Fenning looked right at me and said that the former teacher had told him if he needed any help to call on me as I was the best student in the class. With a gleaming smile he told me he was happy to have someone to call on the help him through the first days of his assignment. Oh yes, I would help him! I would do anything for him! Gorgeous Coach Fenning. Let me tell you that I knew that I was going to love that class more than I ever thought I would. So, that was the day that I lost my innocent heart to a crush that would be a part of my life for several months. Coach Fenning must have know the effect he had on the girls, but he was never anything but kind and tolerent of the adoration that was a part of his daily life. He was very patient and endured the fawining glances, the smiles, giggles and sighs, and was never anything but professional in every way. I was innocent, and did not harbour a thought that was any more than enjoying the feelings of joy and happiness that hit me when I was in Coach Fennings presence. I also did not realize that all of the other girls felt the same way, truly I was not aware that anyone could love him as much as I did. I only got to see him in class, I wouldn't have had to courage to speak to him anywhere else anyway. But, each day I dressed to look nice for him, and at night I thought of him before I went to sleep. They were innocent thoughts, like walking in the park with him, sitting and listening to him read just to me, seeing him smile just for me. Sometimes I would think of him when I heard songs of young love. I would have a husband just like him someday, a perfect specimen of manhood who would have eyes only for me. Until then, I would enjoy being in the presence of Gorgeous, kind, and fabulous Coach Fenning. Whoo-hoo! I loved school!

No comments:

Post a Comment